Saturday, January 24, 2015

Having a Goal (And Finishing What One Starts)

Having a Goal (And Finishing What One Starts)
한국어는 아래에 있습니다.

I remember a talk I had with my father. It was my first summer break after I started college. I was probably sleeping in, watching lots of t.v., having endless coffee dates with friends and doing a whole lot of nothing. My father pulled me aside to have a talk. And it went something like this.

Yoon Soo, you must always have a goal. Even if your goal is not to have a goal. Otherwise, things will just happen to you. So you must have a goal. At all times. 
Now once you have a goal, things will happen that will make want you to quit your goal. For example, let’s say your goal is to climb that mountain. So you start walking toward the mountain. And your legs hurt. And you get thirsty. And you get tired. And you think your goal is stupid. And so you think you should change your goal. 
At this point, you must sit and think. No matter what your goal is, you will always want to give up at one point. And this is because most goals have some hardship to them. And because you don’t want to go through the hardship, you will think that the goal is stupid and you will want to change your goal. And sometimes the goal is stupid. But more likely then not, the work is harder than you expected. So at the moment when you think your goal is stupid, think about it, be honest with yourself and evaluate your goal for its worth. And if it still is worthy, work through the hardship. And achieve your goal.

I heard this story when I was 18. I still remember it now. I am more lenient about having multiple goals going at once, and putting things on the back burner, but the core of the message is not lost to me.

I used to plow through most goals with anger, vengeance and determination. Now I move forward with more hope, and more peace. For some reason, I am not in a rush. Even though I have less time left on this world than when I was 18, I am more relaxed about what I might achieve. And perhaps more measured.

Time feels very precious to me. And because of that I want to spend it well. And spending time well these days means to spend it doing meaningful things. Like friends and family. The people of my tribe. And sharing the love. Maybe that’s way I’m not in a rush anymore. Love is a daily practice and it is not a destination. If my goals used to be nouns maybe now it is a verb. Practice. Practice love. Practice joy.


목적.

대학 때의 일이다. 일 학년 첫 학기를 마치고 여름 방학을 맞으면서, 늦잠, 텔레비전, 커피숍 수다. 무궁무진한 백수의 일상을 보내는 나를 바라보던 아버지가 참다 못해 이야기를 하자 하신다.

윤수야, 사람은 항상 목적이 있어야 한다. 무목적이 목적이라도 사람은 꼭 목적이 있어야 한다. 목적이 무엇이냐가 중요하기 보다, 사람이 생각을 하고 계획을 하고 목적을 달성하는 과정에서 많이 배우기 때문이다. 
목적을 세우고 나면 꼭 한번은 목적을 저버리고 싶어질 때가 있다. 예를 들어, 목적이 “저 산에 올라가겠다.”라고 가정해 보자. 그래서 그 산을 향해 걷기 시작했다고 하자. 한 참을 걷고 걸었는데, 산이 가까워질 생각은 안 하고 오히려 멀어지는 것 같은 느낌이 들 수 있다. 발은 아프고, 목도 마르고. 산을 오르겠다고 결정한 것을 후회하기 시작하면서 원래 목적이 바보스러운 목적이라는 결정을 내린다. 그래서 산 오르기를 취소할 생각을 한다. 이 순간, 윤수, 너는 잠시 앉아 생각을 해야 한다. 목적, 어떤 목적이라도 그것을 성취하려면 어려움이 있기 마련이다. 그런데 그 어려움을 사람들은 견디기 힘들어한다. 때로는 진짜로 바보스러운 목적이 있을 수도 있다. 그러나 대게는 목적을 성취하기 위해 거쳐야 하는 어려움을 견디기 힘들기가 일수이다. 그래서 원래 목적이 바보스럽고, 해서 뭐하냐는 생각이 들면, 잠시 앉아서 자신과 솔직한 대화를 해 볼 필요가 있다. 원래 목적의 진가가 무엇이고, 아직도 그 목적이 가치 있다고 생각하면, 이 힘든 고비는 넘겨야 하는 과정이 아닌가 하는 고민을 해 볼 필요가 있다.

이 이야기를 30여 년 전에 들었다. 요즘도 자주 생각하게 되는 말이다. 예전에는 독을 품고 목적 달성에 전념했었지만, 요즘은 조금 더 느긋해졌다. 시간은 30년이나 지나서 내가 이 세상에 살 날은 많이 줄어들었음에도 불구하고 여유가 생긴 것은 왜일까. 예전의 나의 목적들이 “명사”들이었다면, 요즘 나의 목적들에는 동사들이 늘어났다. 예전에는 학위 습득, Tenure 습득 등이 목적이었다면, 요즘 목적들은 “연습하기”다. 사랑하고 좋아하는 사람들이랑 어울려 일하고 만들기. 사랑은 종착지가 아니고 매일 연습하는 마음가짐이 아닌가 싶다.

No comments:

Post a Comment